• Out-of-District and/or Community College Courses (non running start*)

    Some students opt to take an out-of-district and/or community college course to earn credits needed for high school graduation. The student is responsible for all costs of the program including transportation, tuition, books, and fees. See the Everett Public Schools District Policy regarding community college and correspondence courses below.


    Many students find the flexibility in taking out-of-district or correspondence courses to be very helpful, but please note that some programs (based on accreditation) can only take up to 2.0 credits via that route. The main frustrations that students have communicated are not having the teacher in the immediate area to see when questions arise, and needing to find proctors for the exams (student's cannot use JHS Staff due to programs not being affiliated with JHS).


    * Running Start is a separate program - see the Running Start menu for more information on that option


    Last year, the 2 out-of-district programs that were most used by JHS students were:



    As noted in Everett Public Schools Policy #2410P:

    Community College Course Information:

    3.   College Coursework (WAC 392-410-310)

    Students  enrolled in college coursework, including community colleges, vocational technical colleges, four year colleges, universities, or approved private schools in the state of Washington, and other schools or institutions, which are approved by the district after evaluation for a particular course offering, are eligible to receive high school credit. Prior permission is required from the principal or designee for students who are enrolled in approved college programs.

    Upon completion of coursework, credit will be granted pursuant to section ‘Granting High School Credit,’ number 7.

    7. For college and university course work at the 100 level or above, five quarter hours or three semester hours shall equal 1.0 high school credit. Courses below the 100 level shall equal 0.5 high school credit. Commensurate with the additional credit earned for college and university credit, students who earn a college credit qualifying score of 3, 4, or 5 (i.e. Advanced Placement) will earn an additional .5 credit per exam. High school credit granted for college courses taken at the high school (i.e. College in the High School/University of Washington in the High School, Tech Prep) will be granted in a manner consistent with credit granted for other college or university coursework. When credit for college coursework is recorded on the transcript, half of the high school credit given will count for the core required class, and half will count for elective credit. The principal may modify this division of credit if it is essential to allow the student to graduate on time.


    Correspondence Course Information:

    4. Out-of-District Correspondence Courses

    Credit for correspondence courses may be granted within a two-credit limit.

    For the purposes of this section, correspondence course is defined as, ‘any class taken from any institution that is not a state accredited, diploma granting body.’ The institution must also be a member of the National University Continuing Education Association or accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council provided the following requirements are met:

    a. Prior permission has been granted by the principal.

    b. The program fits the educational plan submitted by the student.

    c. Upon completion of the course, the student will submit his/her final grade to the principal so that the credit may be recorded on the student's permanent record. Transcripts of those students eligible to receive such credit will indicate the final grade reported for the course.