AP Exam Preparation Guides
Each of the AP exam preparation guides listed below can be recommended for use throughout the school year. It's a good idea to purchase one earlier, rather than later, in the school year.
Don't be misled by thinking a bigger ( as in thicker ) guide will offer you better preparation. You can take practice exams on-line these days, so paying for a bunch of those in a book may not do much for you. Instead, look for how much attention the guide gives to dealing with the writing-based portions of the exam, the FRQ and DBQ.
Most of these guides are updated annually, but until the exam design changes in 2013 or 2014, an older used copy will usually deliver the same goods for a lower price.
- Henry, George, AP* Achiever Advanced Placement American History Preparation Guide ( McGraw Hill, 2010 )
- Krieger, Larry, A.P. U.S. History Crash Course ( REA, 2010 )
- Meltzer and Bennett, Cracking the AP U.S. History Exam ( Princeton Review, 2010 )
- Newman and Schmalback, United States History: Preparing for the AP Exam ( 2008 )
Flash Card Sets
- Five Steps to a 5 ( McGraw-Hill, 2010 )