Changes to State Assessments
- The Science State Assessment Graduation Requirement is delayed until the class of 2021. (This is retroactively applied to all previous years.)
- The new state science assessment, based on Next Generation Science Standards, will be rolled out this year. The Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science (WCAS) will be given in grades 5, 8, and 11. MSP Science and Biology End of Course Exam are no longer offered.
- Collection of Evidence (COE) is no longer offered.
- ELA and Math SBA will both be administered in Grade 10 starting in 2017-18.
- New assessment alternatives are being developed and will be posted as soon as possible.
Are you a student in the classes of 2014-18 who has met all graduation requirements except for one or more assessment requirements?
You might be eligible for ELA and Math Expedited Appeals
Beginning in the 2017-18 school year, districts may submit to OSPI evidence that a student in the classes of 2014-18 has developed the skills and knowledge to meet minimum high school graduation standards through:
- Successful completion of a college level class in the relevant subject area
- Admission to a higher education institution or career preparation program
- Award of a scholarship for higher education
- Enlistment in the military
Contact your high school for details on how to submit an appeal to graduate.
This spring students in grades 5, 8, and 11 will take a new science assessment, the Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science (WCAS). Join Dr. Catherine Matthews, Director of Assessment and Research for Everett Public Schools, online to learn more about this assessment. She will demonstrate how parents can access the WCAS training tests online. She will walk through the training tests and explain the embedded online tools that students can use. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Dr. Matthews at (425) 385-4058, firstname.lastname@example.org or Jamie Pickering at (425) 385-4051, email@example.com.
What: Parent WCAS Training Tests Webinar
When: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 6:30pm.
Where: Online from the comfort of your own home
Who: Any interested parents, especially if your student is in grades 5, 8, or 11.
What you will need: A computer with speakers (test your equipment here)
How do I register: No need to register! Just click the link and follow the instructions to launch the app in your browser. If connecting with a device, you will have to download the ZOOM Cloud Meeting app first.
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://everettsd.zoom.us/j/554752142
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16468769923,,554752142# or +16699006833,,554752142#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968
Meeting ID: 554 752 142
International numbers available: https://everettsd.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=k9xifOOhqAtK36nNNbFkF30Vnc0wYEFg
You will need to download the ZOOM cloud meeting app or launch it in your browser on your desktop.
Click here to access a quick guide to using ZOOM webinars