Lesson 2 - Invitation
Assignment 2: Invitation
1. You will be creating an invitation in Publisher.
2. When you are done, have your instructor check your work.
3. Hoonuit: Working with Text
a. Using layout guides
b. Using ruler guides
Applying Your Knowledge: Invitation
Create the Publication
1. Open Microsoft Publisher
2. In the New Publication task pane under the “Build It,” click "Invitations" to display those options.
3. In the window, click the Side Fold publication type.
4. If a message is displayed asking if you want to “Automatically insert pages.” Answer Yes.
5. You should now see page icons 1,2,3,4 at the bottom.
Saving the Invitation
6. Save the invitation to your individual student drive frequently.
7. Name it Invitation.
Change the Design and Color Schemes
8. In the task pane choose page 1, insert a Birthday Clip Art. Images are added to the publication page.
9. In the task pane, click Color Schemes. Click the Tropics option.
10. Change your background to a shade of Yellow for page 1
Display Page 1
11. At the bottom of the window, click on page 1 and insert a text box inside the yellow area and type “You Have Been Invited.” Make the font blue, 28 point size, center text, bold, and italics.
12. On page one, insert a suitable graphic for a birthday invitation and place the text box attractively and resize it if necessary.
Display Pages 2 and 3 and Enter Text
13. At the bottom of the window, click the page 2 icon. Pages 2 and 3 are now displayed. Note that the design and color scheme are not applied to these pages.
14. Insert a text box on page 2.
15. Type the following information and press Enter after each line:
St. Rt. 28
Left on Buckwheat
Right on Rosewood
Address: 128 Rosewood
16. Format the text on page 2 to font Comic Sans, 18 point, italics, centered.
17. Insert a picture of a house underneath the directions.
18. Insert a text box on page 3 (the page on the right).
19. Press F9 and then type the following text, pressing Enter at the end of each line.
Join us at Jack’s house
Friday, July 9
7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
20. Format all the text on Page 3 to Comic Sans, 18 point, centered, and italic. Resize the text box as necessary so that none of the text wraps to the next line.
21. Change the color of the text to blue.
Create Ruler Guides and Position the Text Box
22. Move the pointer anywhere in the blue area of the vertical ruler above the publication page until the pointer changes to and equal sign with double arrow on top, and then drag down off the ruler, creating a ruler guide, until the guide is at the 5” mark on the vertical ruler.
23. Move the pointer anywhere in the blue area of the horizontal ruler to the left of the publication page until the point changes to and equal sign with a double arrow on top and then drag to the right until the guide is at the 2” mark on the horizontal ruler.
24. Move and resize the text box as necessary so that the top left corner of the text box is against the intersection of the ruler guides.
Display Page 4 and Enter Text
1. Insert a text box on page 4
2.Type the following information and press Enter after each line:
This Invitation Was Created
Type your full name
3. Format the font to 18 point, comic sans, center text, resize your text box to
make room for an image.
5. Insert an image of a person
1. Save the invitation to your individual student drive and name it invitation.
1. Print your invitation to the Xerox color printer and fold it so the “You Have Been Invited” is on the front and the additional information is inside and information on the back.
2. Have your instructor view/grade your Invitation on screen and the printout.