6th Grade Research
Big 6 Research Question
During the past century scientists have been gathering evidence that shows how climate has been changing the United States. Your job will be to gather evidence that shows the effect of climate change and of actions you can take to help reduce climate change. You and your partner will make a presentation to your classmates that shows evidence of effects climate change has on your chosen result, and possible solutions to reduce climate change.
1. What are the effects of changing climate here in the United States?
2. What are some solutions to reducing climate change?
Remember to follow our Big 6 Steps:
(Created by Mike Eisenberg and Bob Berkowitz)
Step 1 Task Definition
Step 2 Information Seeking Strategies
Step 3 Location and Access
Step 4 Use of Information
Step 5 Synthesis
Step 6 Evaluation
Evaluate The Resources You are Using!
When researching online resources:
- Be critical and careful.
- Use teacher recommended sites
- Look at URL ending .com, .edu, .gov, .org
- Ask "who wrote it?"
- Discover what the web site is all about
- Determine when and where the information came from.
- Explore why you should use the information on this web site.
Remember you will be presenting your:
2. Evidence (1-3)
Helpful Websites for Research
Use these to develop your Claim and Evidence
- Global Warming Effects
- 7 Things to Know About Climate Change
- Climate Change Facts
- Climate Change:The Long Reach
- NASA Images
- Climate Central
- Climate Basics
- Western Wildfires and Climate Change
- Sea Level Rising Maps
- Risk from Rising Seas
- Climate Change on Animals
- Displaced Animals
- What Hurricane Harvey Can Tell Us About Climate Change
- Crop Production
- Climate Impact on Crop Production
- Climate Impact on Agriculture and Food Supply
- Climate Change and the Impact on Fisheries
- Fisheries and Aquaculture and Climate Change
- Erosion and Flooding along Pacific Coast
- Who is Still Fighting Climate Change? The United States Military
- Infrastructure Risks: When It's Too Hot to Fly
- Climate Change Threatens American Energy and Infrastructure in Every Region
- Northwest Climate Change and the U.S. Energy Sector
- Climate Change Relocation in Alaska
- Relocating an Entire Town Because of Climate Change
- Climate and Relocation
- 5 Places Relocating People Because of Climate Change
Use these websites to develop your Reasoning
- Action and Impacts:Kid's Choices Matter for the Planet
- What Can We Do To Help?
- How to Help Reduce Global Warming
- Reducing Your Carbon Footprint
- 25+ Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
- Reduce What You Can, Offset What You Can't
- Carbon Reduction
- 10 Actions You Can Take Today To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
- How To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
- How To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint at Home
- Carbon Footprint Calculator
- How Big is Your Carbon Footprint?
You Chose One of the Following Topics
- Ice Sheets
- Sea Level Rising
- Animal Habitats
- Heat Waves
- Precipitation and Flooding
- Crop Production
- Livestock Impacts
- Fisheries Impacts
- Heath Effects on Humans
- Snowpack and Water Supplies
- Ocean Acidification
- Military Bases
- Coastline Erosion
- Infrastructure Risks (roads, bridges, railroads, air travel, marine transport)
- Energy Demands and Supply
- Relocation of Communities