Variances & School Transfers

All About Variances and School Transfers - View the Variance Information Sheet

Students usually attend a school designated by that student's home address. Requesting a "variance" means asking to attend a school not associated with the student's home address. Variances are approved or denied based on a number of reasons, including whether or not there is enough space for additional students.

Approval or denial is based upon space availability, class size and school growth patterns, attendance patterns at the current or last school, a student's disciplinary history, and variance application receipt date. Families of students on variances provide their own punctual transportation to and from the nonresidential school.
Variances should be submitted to the school you wish to variance to during the open enrollment period.
What schools are open to variances for 2015-16, and how is that determined? 

Each winter Everett Public Schools updates its projections for student enrollment for the next school year and this information is used to determine how many students each school can adequately and safely educate in existing classrooms and other instructional spaces.

When the annual student enrollment projections indicate there is not enough space for additional students or when a school is undergoing major construction, those schools are not able to accept variance requests for the next school year.

For the 2015-16 school year, the schools below have reached the maximum number of enrolled students; therefore, they are not able to accept any first-time variance requests, except possibly from a limited number of families of kindergarten students. In such kindergarten cases, it is doubtful that the student will be able to continue for first grade at that school in 2016-2017.

  • Cedar Wood Elementary School
  • Emerson Elementary School
  • Forest View Elementary School
  • Jackson Elementary School
  • Jefferson Elementary School (Lighthouse Program**)
  • Lowell Elementary School
  • Mill Creek Elementary School
  • Monroe Elementary School
  • Penny Creek Elementary School
  • Silver Lake Elementary School
  • Whittier Elementary School
  • Woodside Elementary School
  • Heatherwood Middle School
  • Henry M. Jackson High School*
  • Sequoia High School
*A very limited number of variances will be accepted.
**A District choice school/program is open for in-district enrollment transfers depending on space availability but is closed to students outside of Everett Public Schools.

The following exceptions may apply:

  • Continuing variances* (variance renewals from one year to the next).

*Students who are already on a variance and are returning to a school for 2015-16, may reapply to continue attending that school; however approval cannot be guaranteed.

Applications for first-time requests to attend schools in 2015-16 from the above list will be kept on file for consideration should conditions change.

When to apply for a variance:

  • During open enrollment for the upcoming school year (January 1-June 1).
  • Midyear variance (see below).

Open enrollment process for the 2016-2017 school year

The open enrollment period for next year's variances is Jan. 1, 2016, through June 1, 2016. Variance applications must be submitted during that time for the student to receive approval or denial notice by the end of June 2016. High school variances received by Feb. 15, 2016, will receive notice of approval or denial by March 15, 2016. Variances submitted after June 1, 2016, will receive notice of approval or denial by the end of the first week of school in September.

"In-district area variance"--You live within the boundaries of Everett Public Schools:
If you live within the boundaries of one Everett Public Schools, but want your student to attend a different Everett school, please complete an In-District Area Variance Form

a. Students may continue at their variance school as long as they do not exhibit behaviors listed under section 2. (A variance may be denied or revoked). Failure to meet these criteria will result in the student returning to their attendance area school. 
b. The variance request for grades 1-5 and 6-8 does not guarantee a variance request will be accepted for the feeder school in the district’s K-12 continuum. 
c. New variance requests must be submitted as students transition between grades K and 1, 5 and 6 and between grades 8 and 9.  

Area variances will be granted so that a student is allowed to continue at that school until the end of the child’s education in that school without re-applying in succeeding years. This assurance does not apply to all-day kindergarten or half-day kindergarten classes, and may be waived when district attendance boundaries are altered by board action and/or when a school is determined to exceed capacity per district guidelines.  

"Nonresident Variance"--You live outside the boundaries of Everett Public Schools: 

If you live outside Everett Public Schools  and want to attend an Everett school you must go to your home district’s administrative office and fill out their Choice Transfer Form (out-of-district variance/transfer).  Your home district will process the form and submit it online to Everett Public Schools.

Each district has a slightly different procedure for obtaining their district release form, but every school district understands the process. Call your district's administration center for help and questions about their form.
Non-Resident variances are granted for one full school year, or until the end of the current school year. Families wishing to remain at their non-residential school must remember to apply for a variance each year.

Click here for links to surrounding area district variance/school transfer information. 

Variances should be submitted to the school you wish to variance to during the open enrollment period.

Additional Information Needed:

If you are NEW to Everett Public Schools you will need to have a Student Background Form completed by your current/past school and submit it along with your variance application to the school you wish to attend. If the student receives Special Services and is on an IEP you will need to also submit a copy of the IEP to the school you wish to attend.

Midyear variance

Applications for either an in-district variance or a nonresident variance during a school year are accepted through March 31 each year. After March 31 each year, applications for variances are accepted only when students have changed their residential address and wish to continue at their current school.

Applications received after the first day of each school year are reviewed during the last week of each month. Notification about midyear applications are mailed by the second week of the next month.

Kindergarten variance requests:

  • Neighborhood area children receive first preference for kindergarten classes.
  • Parents need to provide transportation for students on variances.
  • Variances for kindergarten may be submitted during open enrollment between Jan. 1 and June 1 of each year. Approval/denial notices are sent on or around June 30 of each year. Many times due to projection difficulties at the kindergarten grade level variance decisions are held until late August once class sizes can be better determined.

How to apply for your child to attend kindergarten at a school outside of your service area:

Area variance students: Register at your neighborhood school first and then submit your area variance request to the school that you wish to attend.

Non-resident variance students: Complete a Choice Transfer Request with your resident school district office. The resident district will submit the request electronically to Everett Public Schools. 

Additional variance information is available from your school and the Variance Office.

Variance Office:

Shanai Cole, Administrative Assistant
email: variances@everettsd.org
Phone: 425-385-4070

Fax: 425-385-4012