Thank you for visiting the donor information page! Here at Hawthorne, we are very thankful for the ongoing generosity of community members, local non-profits, businesses, churches, and voluntary organizations that support our students in a variety of ways.
In order to maximize the benefit to students, we have compiled some donation guidelines. Please review these guidelines if you or someone you know are considering a donation to Hawthorne. If you have a question, please feel free to contact the Family Support Specialist at (425) 385-4610.
Monetary donations to the weekend food backpack program can be made through the Hawthorne PTA. Please contact Corinna Donnerberg for more information. Thank you!
Items we welcome:
- New books for the library! Check out these book lists for inspiration, and remember that hardback books hold up best:
- New shoes for boys and girls, sizes children’s 12- women’s/men’s 8. New or gently used rain/snow boots may also be accepted on a limited basis. Tennis shoes or other athletic shoes are best. Please check with the office or Family Support Specialist to see what sizes are most needed.
- New underwear for boys and girls, sizes 5-10, for use in the health room
- New coats (sizes 6-18)
- Kleenex and baby wipes for classrooms
- Grocery gift cards to Safeway or WinCo (these allow families to purchase fresh produce, dairy, and meat, as well as culturally preferred foods)
- Family-size hygiene/cleaning supplies (shampoo, lotion, soap, toothpaste, laundry soap, dish soap, men’s and women’s deodorant)
- Lice kits
- New jump ropes
- New alarm clocks
- Non-perishable food items**
When donating food items, please keep in mind nutritional content. Rice, beans (dried or canned), stews and soups, canned meats, canned fruits and veggies, pudding, peanut butter, applesauce, granola bars, oatmeal, cereal, and pastas are great staple items. Grocery store gift cards (Safeway, Winco) are a great way to help families be able to purchase fresh produce, protein, and dairy as well as culturally preferred foods.
Items that we currently have a full supply of:
- School supplies
- Travel size hygiene items
- Warm hats
Items that may be accepted:
Please check with Corinna before donating the following items
- School supplies
- Household goods (kitchen items, linens)
- Gently used furniture (typically dining/kitchen tables and chairs, dressers, and couches)
- Baby items
*If you have a large donation that needs to be transported using a truck or other such large vehicle and do not have a way to transport it yourself, we unfortunately cannot accept it.
Items we cannot accept:
- VHS tapes and DVDs
- Used socks or underwear
- Stained or torn clothing
- Expired food items
- Adult clothing
If you would like to donate gently used adult clothing, please consider New and Again Thrift Shoppe in Everett, which benefits Domestic Violence Services of Snohomish County: http://dvs-snoco.org/support-new-again-thrift-shoppe/.
If you would like to donate gently used children's clothing, please consider Clothes for Kids in Lynnwood, which provides free clothing to area children and teens: http://www.clothesforkids.org/clothing-donation-money-donation/clothing-donations.