The Big 6
The Big 6 is an information and technology literacy model and curriculum, implemented in thousands of schools â€“ K through higher education. Some people call The Big 6 an information problem-solving strategy because with The Big 6, students are able to handle any problem, assignment, decision or task.
1. Task Definition
- What is my task, assignment, problem, or question?
- What information do I need?
2. Information Seeking Strategies
- What keywords will help me find the information?
- What are the questions I should answer?
- Should I narrow my topic?
3. Location and Access
- Where will I find my best possible resources?
- How will I locate information (index, table of contents, headings, subheadings bold print, search engines, using the operators and, or , and not) and who could I ask?
- Which are the best sources to use in the Cascade High School Library?
4. Use of Information
- After I have read, viewed, or heard information how do I make meaning of it? Is it relevant to my task?
- What should I record?
- What is important?
- How could I record it (not cards, copy & paste)?
- How will I organize information from multiple sources?
- What conclusions have I made?
- How will I give credit to my sources (biblio/footnotes)?
- How will I present or use this information?
- Have I completed the required assignment?
- Am I happy with my work?
- Is it logically organized?
- Did I really answer the question?
- How efficient was my research?
- Did I use my time well?
1. Book Collection
- Reference materials: dictionaries, thesaurus, encyclopedias, almanacs, atlas, current biographies
- Fiction, historical fiction, story collections
- Non-fiction (Dewey numbers), guide to periodicals, magazines - back issues & current
- The Herald
- Seattle Times
3. Resources at Circulation Desk
- Video tape collection
4. Other Resources
- Professional library
- MLA sources documentation guidelines
5. Online Resources
- Cascade High School homepage
- ProQuest (newspapers, periodicals, journals)
- World Book Online
- Internet Access
- Library of Congress
6. Other Libraries
- Everett Public Library
- Everett Community College Library
- Mill Creek Sno Isle Library System
Have you asked the library staff? They may know of other resources!