Dear Woodside fathers, uncles, grandfathers, and/or other significant male adults,
We want you for one or more day(s) of volunteering at Woodside Elementary during this AWESOME school year! Our program at Woodside Elementary for male adult volunteers is called Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) and is sponsored by the Woodside PTA. Watch D.O.G.S. is a nationally recognized program. Please click on the link below for more information about the program.
Watch D.O.G.S. perform many duties around the school, which may include supporting teachers and students in the classroom, assisting at recess, watching school entrances and hallways, assisting with traffic flow, and helping with any other assigned activities where you actively engage with not only your own student, but other students as well. You will get to spend a little time in your student's classroom and will have lunch and recess time with him/her.
Watch D.O.G.S. volunteers are only needed on full days of school and on days without significant interruption, such as state-wide testing. We suggest that, if you can, volunteering on your student’s birthday is quite fun.We use www.signup.com to schedule volunteers. Please click on the link below to choose a date that is at least one week out. Schedules are created for the following week each Friday at 1:00 pm. At this time, we have room for one WatchDOG per day. Check to see if a day is open for you! When you get to the page, you do NOT have to register. You are entering your email as contact information.All volunteers in the district must successfully pass a background check prior to working in the schools. It takes approximately two weeks for process the request so please complete the information as soon as possible. Once approved, the clearance is valid for three years.
Everett Public School volunteer clearance online application
Our TopDOG is Jacob Williams. Please contact him with questions or if you need help getting signed up. His phone number is 425-495-2305.
How WatchDOGS Support
Education and Safety
at Woodside Elementary
The WatchDOGS will:
- Follow the given schedule. Teachers and students are counting on you to be there and you are missed if you don’t show up. If you are lost, please ask someone for help.
- Always wear the official WatchDOG uniform t-shirt while on duty.
- ENCOURAGE STUDENTS! (with lots of smiles and high five, etc.)
- Help with traffic flow of vehicles and students at arrival and dismissal times
- Monitor hallways and entrances
- Monitor buildings - inside/outside
- Assist at lunch
- Assist at recess
- Eat lunch with your student
- Tie a lot of shoes and teach students how to tie their shoes
- Play or referee on the playground or in the gym
- Read with classes or tutor small groups of students
- Work with flash cards and/or educational games
- Actively and positively engage with their student and others
- Speak to classes about importance of education and career choices
- Be available to mentor students
- Chaperone on fieldtrips
- Help students with test review
- Support specials classes (i.e. music, PE, library, computers) with your presence and/or experience
- Smile and be a hero for a day!
The WatchDOGS should NOT:
- Use cellphones inside the school. This includes the taking of photos of students.
- Go into students’ (girls’ or boys’) restrooms
- Be alone or unsupervised with students
- Espouse political or religious beliefs to students
- Sell or give the official WatchD.O.G.S. t-shirt to someone who isn’t an approved WatchDOG volunteer.
- Engage in any conduct that brings disrespect to himself or his student(s), the school and/or the WatchD.O.G.S. Program and other volunteering fathers.