Physical Book Check Out
(This information is also in your child's Library Canvas page, including a link to let us know which day of the week you may want to come to school to pick up books.)
Cedar Wood Library Physical Book Check Out
Although we are beginning the school year with remote learning, we will be giving you the option for checking out physical library books as well. Based on the CDC and how Sno-Isle libraries checked out books this summer, here is what you would do:
1. Students can place holds on Destiny Discover on both books that are “in” and books that are “out” (students can also continue placing holds on our eBooks as well.) If students are not sure how to place holds on books, please click here to watch a video explaining the process.
2. If a student places a hold on a book that is “in”, I will pull that book off the shelf and label it for the student.
3. You can pick up books on the following days:
Mondays: 4:15 to 5:30 PM
Tuesdays: 12:00 to 1:00 PM
Wednesdays: 12:00 to 1:00 PM
Thursdays: 4:15 to 5:30 PM
Fridays: 12:00 to 1:00 PM
4. Every Friday, I will email Holds Ready notices so you will know if the hold is ready. Students can also check their Destiny Discover accounts, select holds beneath the menu and see if a hold is still pending or ready.
5. Come to school during a pick-up time and I will have the books already checked out for your student. If possible, please click on the button below to give us an estimate as to which day and time you would like to pick up books:
6. Make sure you have any books you need to return or I cannot give you the held items!
To make pick up faster, please write your child's name and grade level nice and big on a sheet of paper, and have passenger in car press that against the window so we can see!
1. You can return books on any day we are passing books out or on your scheduled library day. We will also have book boxes inside the foyer of the office available for returns during the school day.
Please do not try sanitizing books...paper and liquids do not get along! We will just take your books and quarantine them (see below)
All physical items returned are quarantined for a minimum of four days before being available for further checkout as recommended in guidelines from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Once these four days are up, I will check the books in. Therefore, there will be a delay before the books are removed from your child’s account.
What kinds of books should I place holds on?
- Place holds on at least two books that you can take AR tests on (at your independent reading level). Usually you need at least one good nonfiction book, but at this point, I am encouraging you to get books you know you'll enjoy.
- You can get one choice book...a book that is too hard, too easy, or no AR test.
Since this is a learning library and not necessarily a public library, I will delete holds if I decide they are not appropriate. For example, if a first grade student puts a hold on a Harry Potter book that has a high reading level and is a longer book, I will delete that hold. Or, for example, if an older student puts holds on 3 Guinness World Records books...one of these is fine for a choice book, but two of them should have AR tests available.