THE BEST WAY TO PROTECT YOUR KIDS ON-LINE IS TO TALK WITH THEM!!
- INITIATE CONVERSATIONS
- COMMUNICATE YOUR VALUES
- BE PATIENT
- REMIND THEM THAT ONCE SOMETHING IS POSTED ON-LINE, THEY CAN'T TAKE IT BACK
- GET YOURSELF FAMILIAR WITH WHAT IS OUT THERE
- ASK QUESTIONS
- HELP THEM TO UNDERSTAND WHAT INFORMATION SHULD BE PRIVATE BY TELLING THEM TO NEVER GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS: THEIR REAL NAME,AGE, WHERE THEY LIVE, THEIR PHONE NUMBER, WHERE THEY GO TO SCHOOL, AND NEVER SHARE THEIR PASSWORD.
FOR MORE RESOURCES CHECK OUT:
practical tips from the federal government and the technology community to help you guard against internet fraud, secure your computers, and protect your privacy.
- a project of the Internet Education Foundation, the GetNetWise coalition provides internet users the resources to make informative decisions about their and their family's use of the internet.
- is in an effort to provide resources for youth who have questions about or have been targeted by on-line harassment.
- a project of Tech Parenting Group, is for parents, teens, educators, and advocates for learning about safe, civil use of Web and mobile technology.
- educational resources teach children of all ages, in a fun, age-appropriate way, the basic rules of internet safety, ethics, and the healthy use of connected technologies.
- a non-profit new service for parents, educators, and policymakers who want to keep up on the latest technology commentary about online youth, in the form of a daily blog or weekly email newsletter.