March 12, 2020
We want to start off by saying how grateful we are for how understanding each of you have been through all this craziness! As a third grade team, we have put together work folders with work for students to complete over the next couple weeks. We just learned today that we will be out of school until April 24th, so we will continue to update you with student learning and engagement opportunities for the students as the weeks go on.
If your student is not going to be at school tomorrow, Friday March 13th, student work folders will be available for pick up starting tomorrow morning after 9am until 3pm. If you are unable to pick it up during that time, please let us know so we can make arrangements with you.
The instructions for how to log in to the academic resources online will be inside the folder.
Throughout the 6 week closure, we will be available Monday through Friday during normal school hours by email to answer any questions!
Thank you again for your patience and understanding as we work through this unfortunate crisis!
The Woodside Third Grade Team
Ms. Hollenbeck, Mrs. Elders, Ms. Sykes, Mrs. Loftin, Mrs. Bingay
Friday, March 13, 2020
We wanted to share some additional information, which we did not include in our letter or packets.
- Students can go into Woodside’s PTA website and under the “Art Docent” link. In that link, you will find different lessons your child can explore at home and create art. There will be postings of art lessons on their Facebook page for students to do over this unexpected break. Please visit our Woodside PTA website for art activities under the Art Docent link: http://www.woodsidepta.com/art--docent.html
- 3rd Grade Music:
Students have been given access to a Google Classroom created by Mrs. Hill that will be running over the next 6 weeks. She will be posting videos, links, and other fun music resources.
- If your child has not joined or doesn’t see the music Google Classroom, please use the following class code to join: 3rd Grade Class Joining Code: zoqqpvw
- AR (Accelerated Reader) will be open over the next 6 weeks, so please have your child go in and take tests on books they are reading over this break. This will run like the summer AR reading program. Please have your child test independently, so we can see their comprehension progress.
- We have added the Scholastic News Link in Google Classroom, as an assignment. Your child is able to view Scholastic News articles online, have it read to them, watch videos connected to the topics being shared, play games, and more.
- Google Classroom: We have added assignments in Google Classroom for your child, as a space for them to write/type and receive feedback from us throughout the six weeks. This is not required, although we wanted to encourage students to continue practicing their writing/typing skills. They can use it as a journal, as well. We also included different links such as Scholastic News.
- Daily Schedule: In your child’s packet, you will find a generic daily schedule which will help guide you and your child through a learning environment at home through the next six weeks. In the upcoming weeks, we may create a new generic daily schedule to change up the activities. Look out for more information to come in the future.
- Answer Keys: The answer key for Unit 16 in math will be on my webpage. Please use it to correct your child’s work. We would like to encourage you to not leave it out, so they just copy it. There is no answer key for the other packets, so review and look it over with your child.
We will continue to update resources and activities throughout the next six weeks. These and i-Ready will be the standard activities students can do, while at home.
Thank you very much for your support!
Monday, March 16, 2020
We have been provided some clarification on what learning entails while away from the classroom.
From the Superintendent:
Alongside the community, Everett Public Schools shares core values of equity and learning. District staff are preparing for ways to provide your students a continuity of student engagement and learning support while schools are closed.
It is important we first define what we mean by student engagement and support. The resources the district will make available do not replace the experience of being in school but can help students maintain the learning that has taken place this school year. Our plan takes into account current curriculum resources, technology, and staff training in determining our capacity to engage and support students while schools are closed.
This will take the form of digital, web-based learning resources, hard copies of learning packets, and previously built digital content accessed through tools like Google Classroom and Canvas. It’s important, too, that we define at this stage what these supports include, and do not include.
What the supports include
What the supports do not include
- Optional resources for families to use to keep students engaged
- Meaningful activities to reinforce or extended current learning
- Guidance for families to support engagement
- Online resources with which students have familiarity
- Providing a handful of options
- Replication of classroom instruction
- Assignments that will be collected, assessed, and graded
- Monitoring students’ access of online tools/resources
- Providing an exhaustive list of options
Based on the instructions that we were given from the District, we would love to hear about how we can best help all of you to get through these tough times. The 3rd grade team is looking for feedback on what we have already sent in the packets and with the online resources provided. We sent home a generic schedule, but are wondering if it would be more beneficial to have it more specific (day-to-day ideas). We don't want to bombard you with a lot of emails and "To Do's". We are here to support you and your child's learning.
In your child's packet, we included enough work for about two weeks with the use of online resources. Students should be doing about a page or two from each packet each day. We would like your child to fill out their planners daily, as they complete work or find new adventures to fill their day educationally.
We will be sending out weekly updates with meaningful activities and guidance. Again, we would appreciate your feedback on how we can best help you and your family. Example: Would you like daily check-ins or a more specific day-to-day schedule for the week? If we don't hear from you, we will assume you are okay with what the majority decides.
Third Grade Teachers
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Our third grade team would like to remind you about an opportunity available to all children ages 1-18 at this time (even if they are not a student of Woodside). Lunches will be available for pickup at Woodside at 11:30am-11:45am and at The District Apartments at 12:00pm-12:30pm. Everett School District would like parents to pre order lunches but if you have not ordered for today, please come out and have your children get lunch anyway. The pre order form is available at this link so that you can pre order your next order. Please place orders between the hours of 2:00 p.m and 11:30 p.m. the day prior to meal service.
Some of the third grade teachers will be helping to pass out lunches today and would love to see all those smiling faces!
Thank you for your time,
Third Grade Team