Responsible Decision Making
The ability to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns, and social norms. The realistic evaluation of consequences of various actions, and a consideration of the wellbeing of oneself and others. -Identifying problems -Analyzing situations -Solving problems -Evaluating -Reflecting -Ethical responsibility
Bella’s Rules by Elissa Haden Guest
I Share by Cheri J. Meiners
1. Engage in dramatic play with your child either by role playing, using puppets, dolls, stuffed animals, etc. Create a small problem that the characters/puppets/dolls have to solve and encourage your child to respond to your character with a solution to the problem. For solution ideas, see this resource.
2. How do you solve that problem? Read a scenario card and ask, "How can you solve that problem?" After every player has taken a turn suggesting a solution, the player who asked the question gets to choose the best response and tells the rest of the player why he/she chose it. For example, it is the easiest solution, the fastest, the most fun or most creative. You can keep score on whose solutions get chosen and at the end of the game, you can tally up each player's score to find the winner (if you so desire). Here is a sample score board.
3. Talk about rules in different settings: at home, school, work, store, park, etc. You can compare and contrast using a Venn Diagram or make a poster to post the rules for home. You can extend this activity by talking about fun, different, or interesting settings (such as a rollercoaster, the beach, an airplane, at the zoo, in the forest, etc.) even if your child has never been to these places. Encourage him/her to reflect on what would be good rules for that setting and why.
4. Read books or watch videos about community helpers (firefighters, medical staff, police, etc.) and then talk about how your family helps the community. Here is also a video that discusses how kids can help in their communities.
5. Choose something you can do as a family to give back to the community and/or help neighbors. Here is an article with ideas great for kids and families.