Welcome to World History, Fall Semester 2018!
We have been reviewing and discussing the class syllabus
since the start of the year. On 9/25 we reviewed it in all its glorious detail. Here it is Syllabus Fall 2018
. Please read and then sign, return the last page (both parent/guardian and student please).
Unit 1 Review, going back to and through the Renaissance Renaissance Review 10/16
This Renaissance Review "MELA" is due Monday, October 22, start of the period. Even if it's a google or power point slide, PLEASE HAVE IT PRINTED TO TURN IN! Really, really can't print?? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:30am Monday and I'll print it for you. You either have this done Monday or you don't, THIS MELA NOT ACCEPTED LATE. And yes, if you don't do all the MELA's for this unit then you have, among other concerns, essentially given up the "right" to do any retake or redo of the Unit 1 Test to come later.
ALL OF THE MELA'S FROM OCTOBER 8-15 (ABOVE) WHERE STUDENTS ARE SUPPOSED TO MEANINGFULLY ENGAGE IN WRITING ARE CHECKABLE/COLLECTIBLE ON TUESDAY 10/16, START OF THE PERIOD!
October 1-5 (
guest speaker October 5) All that we have done this week is detailed here Unit 1, Renaissance MELA's 10/1-4
The parts of this that are checkable/collectible are entirely digital
(Pearson online activities) and these should be completed by October 4 (Thursday)
Also, Pre Unit Quizzes are in the grade book. Since this is the first summative grade, I want us to be clear about a few things.
1) If you have a "Y" in the gradebook for assignments dated 9/20 and 9/24, that means you completely "did the formative" for the Pre Unit material.
2) Most that did the formative earned a B (10/12) or higher.
3) IF YOU DID THE FORMATIVE, then you can do "test corrections" to change a D or F to a C, or C to a B (10/12 is the highest you can change a grade to). The need, eligibility to do this applies to very few BTW.
4) TEST CORRECTIONS DETAILS- TAKE YOUR TEST, TAKE THE TABLE OF STATISTICS, AND FOR EVERY INCORRECT ANSWER (MEANING YOU DIDN'T EARN MAX POINTS ON THAT QUESTION) WRITE A PARAGRAPH OF 3-4 SENTENCES EXPLAINING WHAT THE CORRECT/COMPLETE ANSWER SHOULD BE. Hand written is "OK"....THIS IS DUE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE PERIOD ON FRIDAY!! You will turn your test and corrections in immediately and then please pay respectful attention to our guest speaker.
5) This quiz, while important and summative, will end up "counting" for very little of your grade at the end of the semester. If you didn't do very well, you have a lot of time to change your situation and improve your grade. Do you think you need to change your habits, effort in order to learn more and do better on future units?????? For example, should your phone be away more? Should you take me up on my offer to schedule a time to get extra, 1-1 help??
started Unit 1, The Renaissance. What you should have "done" is highlighted, due/checkable start of the period on Monday Oct 1. Unit 1, Renaissance Sept 27-28
- We will review all that we have done in the initial, "Pre Unit"...detailed here Pre Unit Review
ON WEDNESDAY, 9/26 STUDENTS WILL HAVE THE PRE UNIT ASSESSMENT (QUIZ). If one does not have a "Y" (completed and on time) or "3" (completed but extremely late) on both assignments leading up to this assessment, checked and recorded on Sept 17 and 24, then there is cause for concern. Among other reasons, if one does not complete these BEFORE THE QUIZ WEDNESDAY, then they have forfeited the right to do any quiz redo or retake!!
NEED HELP?? After school Monday, Tuesday or make an appt to meet another time on one of those days!
IF STUDENTS TURNED IN THE TWO FORMATIVE/PROCESS ASSIGNMENTS
September 17-21 MELA's...Which are essentially the activity relevant to Ibn Battuta (done hand written) and the activity relevant to the Mayans (done digitally via the DBQ online program by most students). September 17-21 MELA's, Due Monday Start of Period
9/10 and 9/11 M.E.L.A's (meaningful, engaging, learning activities!).
9/12 and 9/13 Students worked individually and in groups regarding some accomplishments of older, more ancient cultures. This thinking, work I collected/checked on Friday 9/14, if not complete then turning it in start of period on Monday 9/17 works fine too. Sept 12 and 13 MELA's
More class info to come, best contact method is my email, email@example.com