• Running Start
    Running Start is a partnership between high schools and community colleges in Washington State, and is funded by the state legislature. This program provides high school juniors and seniors with the opportunity to take college-level courses tuition-free.

    Click on any of the below images to quickly access the college Running Start webpages:

    Cascadia      edcc    ecc   

     lw tech     shoreline    Belleve College    

    Completing Running Start enrollment for Fall 2022 over the Summer?

    Please follow the steps below (including completing the JHS agreement form and completing the application/placement at the college) before making an appointment to complete your Running Start Enrollment Verification form with Mr. Gerig by finding an available Zoom meeting on this calendar: Running Start Enrollment Verification Appointment
    Are you a current Running Start student? 
    Be Prepared!! When next quarter's classes are posted, complete & email or bring your quarterly RSEVF to your counselor.
    It is your responsibility to plan ahead to get signatures from your counselor, & to be aware of the college deadlines, JHS school hours & holidays, summer closures, early or late start schedules, etc. Counselors need at least 2-3 school day turn around to fill out R/S forms. Busier times may take longer.
     JHS Running Start HS/CC Credit Chart (last updated 8/17/2021)

    New Running Start Student Information: 
    Please watch the video, follow the steps and contact your counselor for more information.
    Step #1: 
    Step #2:
    If offered, attend a Running Start Information Session meeting with the college you plan to attendLook over the resources provided on the college R/S webpage (they each have a lot of great info!), and reach out to them with your program specific questions, how you qualify for college level classes, deadlines & entrance requirements.
    Step #3:
    Apply & complete placement requirements with the college Running Start office. Each college follows their own specific rules about placement. Look at the details on the college R/S website & direct questions to the college Running Start Staff. 
    Step #4:
    Once you have been accepted to a college...

    A. Parent/Guardian and student fill out & sign the: JHS Running Start Agreement


    B. To help map out your classes, use the following JHS Running Start Planning Form / Fillable RS Planning Form & the JHS Running Start HS/CC Credit Chart (this chart shows you what classes at the college cover the JHS requirements)


    Step #5

    When the college you plan to attend has posted their next quarter class schedule, complete the R/S Enrollment Verification Form (EVF) 2021-22 school year and submit it to your counselor via email or in person. Make sure you include the classes/credits you plan to take. Your JHS Counselor will fill in what those credits equal at JHS.


    Counselors will not be available this school year after June 21, 2022. It is your responsibility to plan ahead to get signatures from your counselor, & to be aware of the college deadlines, JHS school hours & holidays, summer closures, early or late start schedules, etc. Counselors need at least 2-3 school day turn around to fill out R/S forms. Busier times may take longer.



    For more information review the: 

    Spring 2020 Running Start Powerpoint



Running Start FAQ's

  • Running Start is a partnership between Washington State high schools and community colleges, and is funded by the state legislature. This program provides high school juniors and seniors with the opportunity to take tuition-free college-level courses.

    Below are other helpful websites to help you plan your Running Start experience:

    Cascadia Community College Running Start Information Webpage

    Edmonds Community College Running Start Information Webpage

    Everett Community College Running Start Information Webpage

    Shoreline Community College Running Start Information Webpage

    Qualities held by Running Start Students:

      • Responsible
      • Highly motivated
      • Mature
      • Organized
      • Focused
      • Have developed a solid educational foundation
      • College courses are faster paced and require more outside study as compared to most high school courses. The instructors generally expect two hours of work outside of class for each hour of instruction. Therefore, a full-time (15 college credits) R/S student would expect to spend roughly 45 hours per week studying and attending classes.

     Where can I attend?

    Students may attend Running Start at any Washington State Community College. Examples include Everett Community College, Edmonds Community College, and Cascadia Community College.

     What classes should I take?

    Running Start funds will only cover 100 level courses or above.

    Generally, students begin with courses in areas of their strengths. Psychology, sociology, speech, history, and art classes are often good places to start. Students can also choose to jump directly into working on English and Math classes. Wherever you start, be sure you select college courses that will complete district graduation requirements. You can also work to complete the requirements for an associate degree or certificate program at the same time.

    If you have yet to complete Washington State History, U.S. History, U.S. Government, or English credits, be sure to discuss this with your high school counselor. You will need to take very specific courses at the community college to gain credit for these requirements.

     How many courses may I take?

    Running Start students may register for as many credits as the community college allows, but the program will only pay for a maximum of 15 credits each quarter (a full-time load). Part-time Running Start students will divide their studies between their high school and the community college. Each five-hour (5.0 credit) course at the community college is equal to one (1.0) high school credit.

    Students are eligible to participate in the Running Start program for six consecutive college quarters, starting with the junior year. If you do not use them, you lose them.

    Please be aware that the community college and high school calendars are different (semesters vs. quarters).

     How do I qualify?

    To take part in the Running Start program, you must be under the age of 21, enrolled as a junior or senior in high school, have earned 12.0 or more credits, and meet all college eligibility requirements. Fifth-year seniors are eligible under certain conditions. Please see your counselor for information.

    Am I automatically admitted?

    No. Each community college has an admissions/placement test which will help determine whether you are ready for college-level study. Before admitting students, community colleges want to be sure they are capable of doing college-level work, which includes writing clearly and being able to read for full understanding.

    How do I apply?

    Each community college has a Running Start Application (which is different from the regular student application). You can get this application in the school Counseling Center or from the community college. There may be a required admissions/testing fee.

    What will it cost me?

    While in the Running Start program, you will be required to pay for all book and lab fees, parking permits, transportation, additional fees, and credits taken over the 15 credit maximum in any one college quarter, etc. You must also provide your own transportation and meals.

    Who can advise me?

    Counselors can answer general questions about the Running Start Program and courses needed to meet district graduation requirements. See the community college Running Start Advisor to answer questions about courses, available degrees, transfer questions and other college related issues.

    Important Notes about Running Start

    If your college GPA drops below a 2.0, or you fail to compete a class (withdraw or fail), you will be placed on academic probation, which will cause your Running Start eligibility to be jeopardized.

     ** Not all colleges/universities (e.g., out-of-state) will accept Running Start credits for transfer.

    It is suggested that you contact any colleges/universities you may consider attending in the future.