• Home


    I am a N.A.T.A. Certified Athletic Trainer with over 30 years experience from middle school programs and youth soccer to being the Assistant Athletic Trainer for the Seattle Storm for 2 years.

    My job is to keep you student athlete participating as safely as possible. The following are some tips for you to help me help your athlete!

    Everett Public Schools has a adopted the 6-step Return To Play protocol for our athletes who suffer a concussion. Even if your doctor has cleared your child back to full activity, he/she will still need to complete the protocol without a return of symptoms and the coaches and athletic trainers may hold them out if they have any continuing concerns. These steps may be found by clicking on the appropriate title on this webpage.

    If your son/daughter is complaining of pain or being hurt, there are two things you can do to help them feel better faster: Ice the area for 15 minutes and tell them to see me, Brenda Black, the Certified Athletic Trainer.

    First, have them ice the area. If the complaint is about their shins, ice massage works best. Dixie cups, empty yogurt containers, etc, filled with water and frozen, create large ice cubes and are perfect for ice massage. Wrap a cloth around the bottom after it's been taken out of the container to hold on to while rubbing up and down the shin for 7-10 minutes.

    For bigger areas, ice bags, lain on the injured area for 15-20 minutes is the most effective. I recommend using a bag of frozen peas or corn as a reusable ice bag. You'll want to mark it so you don't cook them later. They are less expensive, stay cold longer and last longer than the blue ice packs you can buy.

    If you need to take you athlete to the doctor, it is VERY, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT TO BRING ME A NOTE FROM YOUR DOCTOR WITH PERMISSION FOR YOUR CHILD TO RETURN TO FULL ACTIVITY. Without this, the coaches and I will have to hold him/her out of games and practices. The exceptions are visits to the orthodontist (unless the injury is to the mouth/teeth), dermatologist or chiropractor (if the visit is for a routine adjustment). IF you have any doubts, ask for the note, especially if they don't say you have to rest. This is in accordance with the following WIAA regulation:

    17.11.2 Those licensed to perform physical examinations include a Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor of

    Osteopathy (DO), Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP), Physician's Assistant

    (PA), and Naturopathic Physician


    17.11.4 To resume participation following an illness and/or injury serious enough to require medical

    care, a participating student must present to the school officials a written release from a

    physician licensed to perform physical examinations as listed in 17.11.1 and/or a dentist as


    I cannot ask your doctor to fax the notes , so if you or your athlete forget, you will have to call and ask them to fax it. It may require a second trip to the office. The fax number is: 425 385-7042

    Brenda Black, MS, AT,C, AT/L

    Visitor # 316 - Last Modified On Oct 15 2012 7:57AM
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.
  • All Categories
  • Unassigned
  • Select Month
  • January
  • February
  • March
  • April
  • May
  • June
  • July
  • August
  • September
  • October
  • November
  • December
  • Select Year
  • 2020
  • 2021
  • 2022
  • 2023

Current Assignments

There are no current assignments.

Past Due Assignments