My name is Virginia "Ginger" Alonzo, one of three School Psychologists at HMJHS.
As a school psychologist at HMJHS, my primary role is to work with the team to provide access to all special education services through a formal referral and evaluation team assessment process. Once an evaluation team determines that a student has a disability that has an adverse educational impact and that the student requires specially designed instruction, an Individualized Education Program is developed to meet the needs of the individual student.
If you have any questions regarding an initial referral for Special Education services, please contact your school counselor or a school psychologist at HMJHS. You may make an initial referral to special education, preferably in writing, to be considered. This is a part of Child Find in which all children with disabilities residing in our District regardless of the severity of their disability and who are in need of special education and related services are identified, located and evaluated.
-Information usually reviewed to assist the team at HMJHS in considering an initial referral, but not required, include:
1. Grades over time
2. Interventions in the area(s) of concern
3. Information regarding discipline/behavior
4. Any previous educational evaluation from a school district
5. Information from teachers/parent or guardian/student
6. Accommodations used by teachers (504 Plan?)
7. Any evaluation/diagnosis from outside the school district (medical, psychological)
8. Name of any medications and purpose
9. Reason for referral/ strengths and areas of concern
If you have any questions regarding re-evaluations for a student already receiving services through special education, please contact the special education case manager or one of the school psychologists at HMJHS.