Week 11 Learning Targets:
- I can retell a story using important details.
- I can ask and answer questions in a story.
- I know my letters, sounds, and sight words (and more!).
Our letter of the week is Qq. Here is our Qq alphachant book. Read it as often as you would like!
The title of this story is: Miss Bridie Chose A Shovel.
What do you think the story will be about?
Listen to: Miss Bridie Chose A Shovel
Retell this story using the beginning, middle, and ending. Use details as you retell.
What was your favorite part of this story?
What was your least favorite part of this story?
Do you have any connections to this story?
Activity: My Book of Q
Listen to: Shoemaker and the Elves
What do the elves do for Gus and Bessie? (They make shoes for Gus and Bessie)
What do Gus and Bessie do for the elves? (They make clothes for the elves)
Why do the elves stop going to the shoemaker’s shop? (Gus and Bessie do not need the elves’ help anymore)
Listen to: Bear At Work
What does Bear do at the beginning of the story? ( He puts all the letters and packages in the sack)
What does Bear do in the middle of the story? (He delivers the letters and packages to the bears in town)
What does Bear do at the end of the story? (He goes home because his work is done)
Activity: Relate Characters
Who are the characters in the story? (Max and Quin)
What do Max and Quin do together? (They play music)
Where are Max and Quin playing their music? (on the stage)
How do Max and Quin know that the audience wants more music? (the audience is smiling and clapping)
Activity: Sounds for Q
Can’t access the stories? No worries! Have your kindergartener grab a book at home that he/she can read or can be read to. Choose a few of these to ask your kindergartener after any story read:
- Who were the characters in the book?
- What was the setting of the story? Where did the story take place?
- What was the beginning, middle, and ending of the story?
- Was there a problem? Solution?
- Read the author’s name. What does an author do?
- Read the illustrator’s name. What does an illustrator do?
- Do you have any connections to this story?
- Did you like this story? Why or why not?
- If you could change the ending of this story, what would you do?
- If you could be a character in this story, who would you be? Why?