Week 12 Learning Targets:
- I can retell a story using important details.
- I can ask and answer questions in a story.
- I know my letters, sounds, and sight words (and more!).
Our letter of the week is Xx. Here is our Xx alphachant book. Read it as often as you would like!
The title of this story is How Many Stars in the Sky? What do you think the story will be about?
Listen to: How Many Stars in the Sky?
What is different about the pictures in this story than others we have read?
What was your favorite part of this story?
What was your least favorite part of this story?
Do you have any connections to this story?
Activity: My Book of X
Listen to: The Night is Singing
When does this story take place? (night time) How do you know? (it’s dark; the moon is out)
Why can’t the girl fall asleep?(geese, rainstorm, wind, cat, etc.)
How does the girl finally fall asleep?(in her mother’s arms)
Listen to: Who Needs Rooster?
Why do you think Rooster stops crowing in the morning? ( the other animals hurt his feelings)
How do the animals solve their problem? (they apologize to Rooster and ask him to crow again)
Activity: Sounds for Xx
Before reading, ask:
What do you think this story will be about? How do you know?
Do you notice anything interesting about the title?(letters look like clouds)
What are the children looking at? (clouds)
After reading, ask:
Have you ever seen clouds that looked like shapes? What shapes did you see?
Activity: Blend Words with X
Can’t access the stories? No worries! Have your kindergartener grab a book at home that he/she can read or can be read to. Choose a few of these to ask your kindergartener after any story read:
- Who were the characters in the book?
- What was the setting of the story? Where did the story take place?
- What was the beginning, middle, and ending of the story?
- Was there a problem? Solution?
- Read the author’s name. What does an author do?
- Read the illustrator’s name. What does an illustrator do?
- Do you have any connections to this story?
- Did you like this story? Why or why not?
- If you could change the ending of this story, what would you do?
- If you could be a character in this story, who would you be? Why?
Homework: Send a picture of one of the activities above to me! I would love to have your child in the picture with their completed work. Please text or email me the picture(s). Thank you!