Internships vs. summer jobs
The case for internships
An internship is the perfect time to figure out if the career you're thinking of is the right fit for you.
- You’ll have the opportunity to build your professional network
- You’ll improve your resume with references who have seen you in action.
- You may even discover that the career of your interest is not for you, helping you avoid the feeling of being stuck in a job you don't like
- You'll discover other careers you may not have thought of or realized existed
- Through your performance, you may even be offered a paid position
- An internship provides the opportunity for you to gain first-hand experience in your industry/vocation/profession of choice
The case for a summer job
- Unlike many internships, a summer job is an opportunity to earn extra cash.
- A summer job does allow you the opportunity to expand your professional network.
- Working at a job during the summer allows you to build core skills such as communication and other interpersonal skills.
There is a very strong case for turning your summer job into an internship! You can get the best of both worlds!
To find out how, contact your Worksite Learning Coordinator, Andy Sevald or call 425-385-4081
A great video to get you thinking: Success in the New Economy
Citrus College supported the production of “Success in the New Economy” to help a broader audience begin to understand preparation today for tomorrow’s labor market realities. The end result is a compelling case for students to explore career choices early, make informed decisions when declaring their college education goal, and to consider technical skill acquisition, real-world application and academics (career technical programs) in tandem with a classic education. This balanced approach to life and learning results in a well-educated and employed workforce.
Summer Internship Program Information
Complete this form and hand it in to your career counselor in the career center or email it to Andy Sevald, your Career Connected Learning Facilitator: email@example.com. Your Career Connected Learning Facilitator will begin immediately to secure you a summer internship postion.