Early Entrance - NEW PROCEDURES FOR 2020-21
April 13, 2020 - Update on early entrance: Due to the Stay at Home order and the extended school closures in Washington state, the early entrance screening and assessment process cannot proceed as planned. The deadline for applications to have students considered for early entrance remains April 15, 2020. We will provide updates as more information becomes available.
April 17, 2020 -The application deadline for early entrance has now passed. We will continue to provide updates on the screening and assessment process as we are able.
Who can apply for Early Entrance for school year 2020-21?
- Early admittance will be considered for children whose fifth or sixth birthday falls on or between September 1 and October 31.
- Children with birth dates after October 31 are not eligible to apply.
A completed application packet must be received by the Everett Public Schools Early Entrance Office no later than Wednesday, April 15, 2020 in order to schedule your child for screening.During the school closure, there are two options for submitting your early entrance application and supporting documentation:1. Mail to Everett Public Schools, Attn: Early Entrance, 3900 Broadway, Everett, WA 98201. You will receive email confirmation of receipt once the district office reopens.2. Scan and email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive email confirmation of receipt within one business day.
- Application packets are available at your neighborhood school, or you may print the required forms by accessing them here.
How does the process work?
If your child's birth date meets the above criteria and you would like him or her to be considered for early entrance, please do the following:
- Submit an application packet to the Early Entrance Office at 3900 Broadway, Everett, WA 98201 no later than Wednesday, April 15, 2020. This includes all of the following required documents:
- Early Entrance Application
- Proof of child's age
- Proof of child's current address
- First Grade Early Entrance Placement Agreement (for applicants requesting early entrance to first grade only)
- Once the completed application packet has been submitted, a screening date will be set during the week of April 20 or April 27 at the Community Resource Center, located at 3900 Broadway in Everett. The results of the screener determine whether or not the child is recommended for a full assessment by a district school psychologist.
- For children who are recommended for a formal assessment based on the screener, an assessment by a certified/licensed school district psychologist employed by Everett Public Schools is required before your child can be considered for early entrance. This assessment will be scheduled for eligible students during the first two weeks of May 2020. The psychologist will send the assessment results to the parent/guardian of the applying student, and the results will be added to the student's application packet for review.
To qualify for early entrance a child must show above average or exceptional ability, in each of the following areas:
Mental Ability Gross Motor Skills Language Development Fine Motor Skills Visual Discrimination Social & Emotional Development Auditory Discrimination Readiness Skills/Academic Skills
4. Parents/guardians will be notified of acceptance or denial within ten business days of receipt of the assessment. All early entrance placements will be reviewed within the first 30 calendar days from the first day school is in session to ensure the placements are appropriate and successful. The parent/guardian will be notified before the end of the trial period of the final decision on the child's eligibility to remain in the kindergarten/first grade program. This decision can be made by the school at any time during the evaluation period. Parents or guardians who do not agree with the decision resulting from their application for early entrance or from the trial period may submit a written request for review of the decision to a district Assistant Superintendent.
If you have questions about the early entrance process, please contact the Early Learning office at 425-385-4068.