Who can apply for Early Entrance for school year 2019-20?
- Early entrance into kindergarten or first grade is for students who are sufficiently advanced, but have missed the birth date deadline of August 31. Under Everett Public Schools policy, children are eligible for assessment if their fifth or sixth birthday falls on or between September 1 and October 31.
- Children with birth dates after October 31 are not eligible.
A completed application packet and assessment results must be received by the Everett Public Schools Early Entrance Office no later than Wednesday, August 15, 2019 in order to be considered for early entrance.
- Application packets are available at your neighborhood school, or you may print the required forms by accessing them here.
How does the process work?
If your child's birth date meets the above criteria and you would like him or her to be considered for early entrance, please do the following:
- Submit an application packet to the Early Entrance Office at 3900 Broadway, Everett, WA 98201 no later than Wednesday, August 15, 2019. This includes all of the following required documents:
- Early Entrance Application
- Proof of child's age
- Proof of child's current address
- First Grade Early Entrance Placement Agreement (for applicants requesting early entrance to first grade only)
- Arrange for an assessment by a Washington state certified/licensed psychologist. This is required before your child can be considered for early entrance. It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to contact a certified/licensed psychologist and arrange for their child to be assessed. A list of psychologists is provided in the information packet and is intended as a resource only. Everett Public Schools does not make recommendations. You may also contact another independent Washington State certified/licensed psychologist who can administer the assessment. Fees and services may vary among psychologists.
- The cost of the assessment is the responsibility of the parent or guardian unless the parent or guardian meets the qualifications for the free or reduced lunch program at school. If you are residents of the Everett Public Schools service area and believe you may qualify, you may complete and submit the Application for Free Early Entrance Evaluation. Proof of income as shown on the form must also be submitted before a district assessment can be scheduled. If you qualify, the Early Entrance Office will contact you to schedule an assessment in late July/early August.
The psychologist will make a placement recommendation. However, final approval is determined by the Program Coordinator who will verify that the child meets the district criteria for early entrance.
To qualify for early entrance a child must show substantial, above average ability, in all of these areas:
Mental Ability Gross Motor Skills Language Development Fine Motor Skills Visual Discrimination Social & Emotional Development Auditory Discrimination Readiness Skills/Academic Skills
Parents will be notified of acceptance or denial within ten business days of receipt of the assessment. All early entrance placements will be reviewed within the first 30 calendar days from the first day school is in session to ensure the placements are appropriate and successful. The parent/guardian will be notified before the end of the trial period of the final decision on the child's eligibility to remain in the kindergarten/first grade program. This decision can be made by the school at any time during the evaluation period.
Parents or guardians who do not agree with the decision resulting from their application for early entrance or from the trial period may submit a written request for review of the decision to a district Assistant Superintendent.